Anyways, when we got to New Orleans we rented a car and drove about an hour southwest of New Orleans to a town named Houma (pronounced home-a), and spent 2 days down there. It is a nice little town in the bayous and swamps. It was nice to see the country parts of Louisiana. We had a nice tour of an old sugar plantation one of the mornings. It was interesting to learn about the area and as well as learn a lot about sugar production now and then.
After that tour we went on a swamp tour in the bayous. This was s huge highlight for me. It was so much fun going on a little boat and wander around the swamps. We saw a lot of wildlife, but of course the best were the alligators. We saw a lot of them small and big. The biggest one we saw is about 12-13 feet long (about 120 years old, they grow very slowly). Our tour guide fed them little pieces of chicken along the way and he could get them to jump out of the water several feet!
After a couple days, we returned the rental car and went into New Orleans. What a fun and chaotic city that place is! We were at the same time as the French Quarter Music Festival so there were stages set up everywhere with all sorts of music-it was so much fun to just wander around and listen. Josh had to go to his conference at this point, so we only had evenings to do things together, so I did a bunch of wandering around on my own, relaxing by the pool, reading, etc.
One of the evenings we went on a Haunted History tour of the French Quarter. It was like a history tour mixed with the paranormal. Sounds kinda goofy I know, but it was really interesting and fun to do at night.
The food down there is delicious!! Although I did get sick of eating at restaurants for a full week, so when I came home and made a peanut butter and jelly sandwich it tasted so good! :)
Crayfish--a local favorite and pretty cheap down in Houma. I tried one even though I don't like seafood just to say I had one. Interesting little creatures, like mini lobsters. Josh really liked them.
I was able to kind of catch of the alligators jumping out of the water a bit. One time an alligator jumped up right by where I was sitting--I stood up for a little bit until that one went away. It was a wonderful 2 hours on that tour!
1 comment:
So much fun! I actually grew up(from 6-12 years old) in a town just east of New Orleans called Slidell(other side of Lake Ponchotrain). Your pictures brought back some fun memories. Did you get to eat any beignets?
Ahhh, the French Quarter. My parents were actually brave enough to take us down there (all 8 of us kids!) a few times. Mardi Gras was always interesting, to say the least. Glad you guys had so much fun!
Post a Comment