Saturday, August 29, 2009

City of Rocks


This weekend we went on a camping trip with a bunch of our neighbors to City of Rocks (in Idaho). There was 8 families that went and we had a great time. The area was beautiful and full of rocks and cliffs and things for the kids to climb on. The girls had a blast with their friends. We didn't sleep well, but that is to be expected while camping I guess. I couldn't sleep because of all the animals I kept hearing--there were tons of racoons and I could hear around our tent and one actually hit the tent (or tripped on the pole or something) and I just about jumped out of my sleeping bag when it happened. In the middle of the night I had to go to the bathroom (the only disadvantage of the place we were at was that the bathrooms were really far away), so I was going to go visit the bushes, but I was scared to leave the tent. lol I know it sounds funny but there were so many little critters and I didn't want a racoon attacking me! I also could hear a deer munching on some plants right outside our tent too-such a disturbing noise to hear its teeth chomping away. Less than a minute after I turned off my flashlight and got back in the tent the raccoons were back! I am silly I know but sounds are amplified while camping and I felt surrounded! :)


There were fun holes to climb in on the rocks too-we saw this one on our hike today.



If you look closely you'll see Erin and Bailey on the top of this huge rock. I am taking this picture from our campsite, they had so much fun exploring.


The girls love making their smores too. And for those of you who like peanut butter, try adding it to your smores--DELICIOUS! Peanut Butter is now going to be a staple when we go camping.


Poor Bailey!! About an hour after we got there she fell into a cactus-there were lots around. She came back to camp screaming and she easily had a hundred or so little teeny cactus spines in her hand/wrist. They kept breaking off at the skin so some were really tricky to get out. We managed to get most out and put some gel on it to stop the pain. I also found some in her pants too. Then while we were hiking around today she fell backwards into another cactus. Luckily there were only a couple in her side, and they were bigger spines so easy to pull out. She seemed to attract those plants, poor girl! But she perked up a little later and didn't let it spoil her good time.

3 comments:

Heather said...

I'm glad you came. Thanks for taking care of the food. It was all good!

browneyedgirl said...

Too bad about the cactus! Glad you had a fun camping trip!

Melissa said...

-k- you totally outlined all my nightmares about camping and the reasons I NEVER camp! lol! :) Word to the wise- when being around cactus carry duct tape, then when all those little spines get in your hand (or whatever) you put a piece of duct tape over it than pull off and out they come! :)