Thursday, October 1, 2009

Canning at its best!





Every year I can a lot of tomatoes-into spaghetti sauce or cut up tomatoes for soups, etc. And every year it takes me FOREVER to do it because you've got to blanch them, skin them, take out the seeds, squeeze out excess water, chop, and then actually make the sauce. Well, this year I decided to use my applesauce maker to see if it would be easier. And it was SO MUCH better! It took about 1/4 of the time and the girls even did a lot of the work because they love helping with the strainer. Bailey turned the crank while Erin pushed the tomatoes through and I washed and cut them in half-that's it! No skinning, chopping, etc.! It is a bit watery at the moment, but it is boiling down nicely on the stove and then I'll add the spices. I'll be doing it this way for now on-especially since the girls love to help me in the kitchen. :) I love free labor. lol

Plus I think it is great to get the girls learning how to work in the kitchen and can foods-such a great thing to know how to do!

1 comment:

Joe + Katie said...

I used one of those things for the first time this year. The best invention ever!!!! That is so great that your girls were getting into it was well. So fun!